Sports Nutrition Seminar Pearls
Brio Dietitian Marie Robles, RD, schools up our Brio athletes on the latest and greatest about sports nutrition.
For those who were unable to attend, here are some great little pearls of information taken directly from her talk:
- Drink 12-24 of fluid (3 cups water) 2 hrs prior to exercising and another 8 oz (1 cup) 15 min before exercise
- Drink 8-10 oz of water every 15 min during exercise
- Drink 20-24 oz water or sports drink for every 1 pound of sweat lost (sports drinks only necessary for exercise over 1 hr)
Nutrition and Exercise guidelines
- Include protein, carbs, and fats for sustained energy
- Try to allow 2 hrs for your food to digest before exercise
- Try to allow 1 hour for any Snacks to digest before exercise
During workout fuel:
- Consume gel or liquid that easily digests
- For workout < 1 hr – consume water
- For workout > 1 hr – consume sports drink
- Consume ~ 15 g of carbohydrate for every 30 minutes of training
- To determine amount of fluid to replace weight yourself before and after your workout. No you will know on average how much fluid you will need to replace with a particular workout.
- Consume enough water to hydrate post workout (check weight)
- Include protein + carbohydrate combination snack or meal following workout
- Liquid works best (e.g., milk, yogurt, protein shake)
For more information Re sports nutrition, feel free to contact us.